- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 large tomato
- 1 medium sized lime
- 1 green chili, finely sliced
- A handful of chopped coriander
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- On a chopping board, dice the tomato. Then using the side of a large knife, crush the tomato cubes until pulverised. Push the crushed tomato into a serving bowl.
- Slice the guacamole around the middle stone – start at one end and slice vertically until the knife meets its starting point. Take the two sides of the guacamole and twist to separate them.
- Use a spoon to scrape the flesh of the avocado into the serving bowl alongside the tomato. Season, and use a fork to mash the ingredients together.
- Add the thinly sliced chili and coriander and stir in. Slice the lime in half and squeeze in the juice of one of the halves. Stir and taste – if necessary, add the juice of the remaining slice.
- Serve with a slice of lime for garnish, seasoning again before serving. Enjoy with tortilla chips, or as an accompaniment to a Mexican meal such as burritos or fish.
- 5 fresh tomatoes, diced OR a 400g tin of tomatoes
- 1 onion, diced – red onion gives a sweetness to the salsa that complements fresh tomatoes really nicely
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of tomato puree
- Ground paprika, to taste
- Dried chili flakes, to taste
- 1 teaspoon of brown sugar, if using tinned tomatoes
- Heat a little oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, sauté
the onion and garlic until they begin to brown.
- Add the tomatoes and stir. Season with paprika and chili flakes to taste. Be careful with each spice here – it will determine how hot or cool your salsa will eventually be!
- Add the tomato puree and stir to combine. If using tinned tomatoes, add a teaspoon of brown sugar to balance the taste.
- Reduce the heat, and simmer the salsa. If using fresh tomatoes, they should begin to wilt and break down. Stirring occasionally will aid this break-down process – the salsa will gain a good thick consistency.
- Remove the salsa from the heat, and leave to cool down. Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!